Georgia Sea Turtle Center Turtle Crawl Races
March 9, 2019 • Great Dunes Beach Park
Exciting changes are ahead for the 2019 Turtle Crawl races!
Turtle Crawl was created in 2003 as a fundraiser for the Georgia Sea Turtle Center (GSTC). Since that time, the event and its participants have raised more than $100,000 to help save sea turtles. In just 11 years of operation, the Georgia Sea Turtle Center has provided care for more than 3,000 patients, including a variety of sea turtle species and other coastal wildlife. GSTC has also provided environmental education for more than 1,200 groups, and last year welcomed more than 109,000 guests in the Center from near and far.
As the Center continues to grow and change, so will the event that supports its lifesaving work. As we analyzed past Turtle Crawl events, we discovered that the increasing costs of producing triathlons, combined with declining triathlon participation, was preventing us from efficiently and effectively raising money for GSTC. This analysis brought us to the decision to eliminate the triathlon from the Turtle Crawl events. We will continue to host the highly popular 5k and 10k races, and as a response to your requests, we have added a one-mile Fun Run on the beach and shifted the event date to earlier in the spring. Turtle Crawl will be held March 9, 2019.
- Turtle Crawl sprint and international triathlons have been eliminated
- 5k and 10k races will remain
- New one-mile fun run/walk on the beach
- New date: March 9, 2019
- Registration prices remain the same, including a donation to the Georgia Sea Turtle Center + daily admission to the Center
With a renewed focus on fundraising via the Turtle Crawl 5K, 10K, and Fun Run races, we will all be able to better support the Georgia Sea Turtle Center and its mission of research, rehabilitation, and education.
We sincerely appreciate your support for this event and GSTC, and hope you’ll join us for Turtle Crawl in 2019. Registration is now open, and we are looking forward to a wonderful day of races and saving turtles.
GSTC Turtle Crawl Event Details
5k & 10k Road Races
These courses are a runner’s dream: fast, flat, and offer out-of-this-world scenic views. The road races will start near the Jekyll Island Convention Center, travel north along Beachview Drive, turn at each race’s half-way point, and return south along the oceanfront path. These races are fun for athletes of all skill levels and ages, and the 10k is a qualifier for the AJC Peachtree Road Race in Atlanta, Georgia.
Medals will be awarded to the first, second, and third place finishers, both males and females, and by age groups.
14 & under | 15-19 | 20-24 | 25-29 | 30-34 | 35-39 | 40-44 | 45-49 | 50-54 | 55-59 | 60-64 | 65-69 | 70+
Race Location: Start – Jekyll Island Convention Center; Finish – Great Dunes Beach Park
Race Start Time: 8 a.m. – 10k; 8:15 a.m, – 5k
Fun Run: One-Mile Beach Run/Walk
New for 2019, Turtle Crawl includes a one-mile Fun Run along the beach. This race offers a great opportunity for families to race together, taking in the scenery of Jekyll Island’s shore. Minimum age for participants in the Fun Run is three and up, as strollers are not recommended.
All participants will receive a race T-shirt and all other aspects included in registration, but awards will not be given for the Fun Run.
Race Location: Start & finish near Great Dunes Beach Park
Race Start Time: 9:00 a.m.
All races’ registration fees include:
- Race T-Shirt. Must be registered by February 15, 2019 (date extended!) to guarantee a T-shirt and/or size.
- Shirts will be short-sleeved in sizes of adult extra small-2XL for the road races
- The Fun Run will offer these adult sizes plus youth sizes small-large
- Admission to the Georgia Sea Turtle Center. See race packet for details. Not applicable to Ghost Crawler racers.
- Race Photos
- Post-Race Food
- Donation to the Georgia Sea Turtle Center
Registration Milestones & Details
- Registration schedule & costs: 2019 Turtle Crawl Registration Details
- Races are non-refundable, non-transferrable, and cannot be deferred to another year
- Regular registration will be available online through March 7, 2019 and on-site day-of
- Weather Policy
- Safety is of the utmost importance to the organizers of Turtle Crawl Weekend. As with all our events, we will be tracking the weather in the weeks and days leading up to the race.
Friday, March 8, 2019 • Georgia Sea Turtle Center
The GSTC is located in the National Historic Landmark District at 214 Stable Road.
- 4-7:00 p.m.: Packet pick-up
- We highly recommend picking up your packet prior to race morning.
Saturday, March 9, 2019 • Great Dunes Beach Park
Great Dunes Beach Park is located on N. Beachview Drive, between the Jekyll Island Convention Center and Tortuga Jack’s.
- 6:30-7:45 a.m.: Packet pick-up
- We highly recommend picking up your packet at Friday’s packet pick-up.
- FIRM CLOSE at 7:45 a.m.
- 8 a.m.: 10k race starts
- 8:15 a.m.: 5k race starts
- 9 a.m.: Fun Run starts
- 10 a.m.: 5k & 10k Awards
Interested in being a sponsor of Turtle Crawl 2019? Please contact Ainsley Toal to discuss sponsorship opportunities.
Ainsley Toal, Jekyll Island Authority Events Manager
Villas by the Sea Resort is a proud sponsor of the Georgia Sea Turtle Center Turtle Crawl Races. Villas by the Sea offers a wide range of guest rooms from which to choose. Resort amenities include large pool, bike rentals, 17 oceanside acres of lush, tropical landscaping, and on-site restaurant, Driftwood Bistro. Come enjoy the annual Georgia Sea Turtle Center Turtle Crawl Races and stay at Villas by the Sea!
Please call 1.800.841.6262 or 912.635.2521 and mention “Turtle Crawl Races” for discounted rates.
Volunteering is the perfect way to get involved in your community and support a great cause! We are looking for spirited volunteers for Jekyll Island’s Turtle Crawl Weekend on March 9, 2019. We need your to help make this event a running success.
All volunteer registration is managed through RunSignUp.
For questions regarding Turtle Crawl Weekend volunteering, please contact Erin Evors.
Erin Evors, Jekyll Island Authority Events Coordinator
Race Results & Photos
Thanks to all our race participants, volunteers, and sponsors, 2018 was biggest Turtle Crawl ever. Race times and results from 2018 can be found below, and we look forward to breaking even more records in 2019!
View results from the 2018 Turtle Crawl races.
Get your free pictures from Turtle Crawl 2018.
Claim Award or Shirt
Miss awards ceremony on race day? No worries! Complete a claim form.
Date: March 9, 2019
Location: Great Dunes Beach Park