COVID-19 Travel Update
Travel Preparedness for our Visitors
The Jekyll Island Authority is actively monitoring developments and information surrounding COVID-19’s (coronavirus) potential impact on travel to and around Jekyll Island, as the health and safety of our residents and visitors is a top priority. We are continuously monitoring and participating in communications provided by Georgia state health and government officials to ensure any necessary precautions are taken.
We understand that not everyone feels comfortable traveling at this time. For those who choose to visit the island, we are committed to providing a safe environment and the health and wellbeing of our visitors is our top priority.
Facility Operations Updates
- Georgia Sea Turtle Center – 912.635.4444
- Open under new operational protocols and limited occupancy. Please visit gstc.jekyllisland.com for details.
- Injured sea turtles can still be reported by calling: 912-264-7218 or 1-800-2SAVEME (800-272-8363)
- Jekyll Island Golf Club – 912.635.2368
- The Golf Pro Shop is limited to a maximum of 10 people, including staff, at all times.
- Social distancing is mandatory at all times.
- Jekyll Island Guest Information Center – 912.635.3636
- Annual Parking Passes may be purchased online at jekyllisland.com/parking.
- If you need assistance with purchasing an annual or day pass online, a Guest Information Center specialist can provide guidance on accessing the payment portal, but passes will need to be purchased online.
- A gate attendant will remain available 24/7 by pressing the HELP/INTERCOM in each lane for assistance.
- Mosaic, Jekyll Island Museum – 912.635.4036
- Open under new operational protocols and limited occupancy. Historic District tours will be limited and reservations are encouraged. Please visit jekyllisland.com/history for details and trolley tour reservations.
Restaurant, Hotel & Business Operation Changes & Closures
The operations listed above are subject to change. Contact individual properties for questions on any changes in operations.
All regular beach activities, including the use of chairs, coolers, tents, and umbrellas, are allowed on the beach, with the exception of the following social distancing mandates that remain in effect:
- No groups over 10 people
- All people must be at least 6 feet apart unless under the same household
All beach pavilions, picnic areas, and beach restroom facilities have reopened for use, but all social distancing mandates outlined above remain in effect.
The public is encouraged to report any observed non-compliance of social distancing by calling the Georgia State Patrol at 912.635.2303 or the DNR Ranger Hotline at 1.800.241.4113.
We are taking a number of stringent precautionary measures to ensure the safety and well-being of those living, visiting, and working on the island and have increased many of our operational protocols.
- Staff who have contact with guests will be required to wear assigned face masks
- Customer service counters will have plexiglass dividers, to further establish social distancing
- Increased hand-sanitizing stations and pumps at all authority-operated gift shops and amenities, including the Jekyll Island Guest Information Center and Jekyll Island Convention Center
- We have partnered with EcoLab to have hospital-grade disinfectants available for use in all JIA restroom facilities as well as increased maintenance and service frequency of our public restroom facilities including a secondary sanitizing step in the service protocol
- Requiring Jekyll Island Authority employees with illnesses including flu-like symptoms to stay home and seek medical attention
- Encouraging increased frequency of handwashing and sanitation efforts by all Jekyll Island Authority employees
- Increased sanitation of public surfaces including countertops, doorknobs, and other areas throughout our facilities that frequently come into contact with the public
- Providing additional travel-size hand sanitizer products for purchase at our gift shops and retail locations
As you plan and embark on your travel to Jekyll Island, it is important to implement best practices and judgment to prevent the spread of illness to others. To exercise caution, please follow the CDC’s recommendations:
- Practice social distancing; keeping a space of 6 ft. between you and others
- If you are feeling ill or have prolonged symptoms of illness, do not travel and seek guidance from a health care professional
- Those with compromised immune systems or of an elderly age should avoid travel to prevent the risk of illness, in accordance with the extended Executive Order regarding vulnerable travelers
- Follow the department of public health’s preventative measures for illness, including the use of a face mask when in public: dph.georgia.gov/novelcoronavirus
We encourage our visitors to help keep themselves and others healthy while enjoying our beautiful island. This means that while you are out in public, please heed public health advice and wear a mask to mitigate the spread of coronavirus. Learn more about what you can do to protect yourself and others through Georgia Governor Kemp’s Georgia Safety Promise, and follow the most up-to-date information and guidance offered by other trusted sources including the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC), Georgia Department of Health, and your local authorities.
Any person entering the premises waives all civil liability against this premises owner and operator for any injuries caused by the inherent risk associated with contracting COVID-19 at public gatherings, except for gross negligence, willful and wanton misconduct, reckless infliction of harm, or intentional infliction of harm, by the individual or entity of the premises.
Last Updated 2021-01-07 14:09:49